Want your next quilt to include a special message? Would you like to spell out a name, a poem, or a song lyric? Did you think it wasn’t possible without time consuming applique, paper piecing, or patterns? This workshop is for you!
Tonya Ricucci, aka the UnRuly Quilter, has been quilting for more than 25 years. For the last 15 years she has been focusing on the “Liberated” and “Unruly” styles of improvisational piecing. In 2010 Tonya’s first book Word Play Quilts, was published by Martingale.
Tonya will teach the techniques from her book Word Play Quilts for making UnRuly letters and numbers. Participants will learn how to free-piece with or without rulers and with very little measuring. Techniques for putting letters together into words, and words together into sentences will be covered. Everything can be made in a huge range of styles and sizes, allowing each maker to express their individual style.
During the workshop, participants can choose if they would like to:
- Focus on technique and practice making different letters, numbers and words.
- Start an alphabet sampler mini quilt.
- Make word “bricks” to use in any quilt.
- $55.00 ($44.00 for SFMQG members).
- Early bird registration open for SFMQG only until March 25th.
- General registration opens March 26th.
- Register and pay in our store. (Waiting list available when sold out.)
Suitable for sewers of all levels from beginner to expert. Participants should know how to operate their sewing machine and sew straight seams.
- Two half yards of material. Bring more if you want! You need strong contrast between your letter fabric and your background fabric. Beware of busy or large-scale prints, or prints with multiple colors. Small scale prints that read as solids work best. Or solids!
- Excellent fabric scissors.
- Rotary cutter, ruler and cutting mat if you want to play that way.
- Sewing machine and all the usual gear.
Word Play Quilts book
The author will have copies of her book available for sale ($18) during the workshop.