In this workshop, you will learn the benefits of large-scale piecing and constructing oversized blocks. We’ll discuss the roots of large scale piecing, the effect of reducing design elements and the simplification of the overall design of a quilt. Using Heather’s Fly Away quilt pattern, students will learn how to increase the scale of both traditional and modern block designs, how to successfully manage large cuts of fabric and large pattern pieces, how to work with large areas of negative space, and tips and tricks on fabric selection, cutting, and construction methods for working in this manner.
- learn how to increase the scale of quilt blocks using graph paper and simple math
- learn how to manage large cuts of fabric and large pattern pieces
- learn how to work with large areas of negative space
- learn cutting, and construction methods for working in this manner
Download the Supply List. - updated 9/4/16
Heather Jones is an author, designer and self-taught quilter. Her first solo book, Quilt Local: Finding Inspiration in the Everyday was released in October 2015. She is the founder and former president of the Cincinnati Modern Quilt Guild; three of her original quilts were chosen as winners of “Project Modern,” a year-long national quilting design competition sponsored by the national Modern Quilt Guild; and she is also a two-time finalist for the Martha Stewart American Made Awards. Heather is often inspired by everyday places and things, and is excited by the challenge to translate that inspiration into her work. She has a great love and respect for the traditional art of quilting, is an avid collector of vintage quilts, and loves to bring a modern twist to traditional patterns. Heather lives outside of Cincinnati, Ohio with her husband and two young children. Find Heather on her website, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest.
Policy on workshop sales and refunds
- Workshop places must be booked in the name of the person who will be attending.
- All workshop purchases are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Refunds unfortunately cannot be given for any reason other than a transfer by SFMQG to a waiting list participant. Waiting list transfers must be conducted by SFMQG.
- If an event is sold out, and we have an interested party on the waiting list who would like to attend, we will consider refunds up to 24 hours before the event. In these cases refunds will be issued to the returning party after the waiting list party has paid in full.