This month we are making mini scrappy improv blocks. We will be making 3.5 blocks out of scraps and then sewing nine of them together to create a 9.5 inch unfinished block. This is a great block to use up scraps!
For this block you will need:
- Scraps in rainbow colors. No brown, white, or black please!
To make one 3.5 inch block
- Choose a variety of scraps in the same color or hue (all similar blues, or pinks, etc)
- Place the scraps together and find a side where they fit together best. You can cut two sides straight if that helps.
- Sew your first two scraps together.
- Find another scrap and add it to the first two.
- Keep adding additional scraps until your fabric is big enough to cut a 3.5 inch square.
- Make 9 blocks in total. Try to vary your color choices to create a bright, scrappy block!
- If you like, you can choose to use one or two squares which are just one piece of fabric cut to 3.5 inches. However, please do not do this for more than two blocks, or the scrappy look will be diminished for the finished quilt.
Finish your block!
- Once you have 9 blocks, arrange them in a pleasing combination.
- Sew them together in three rows of 3 blocks.
- Sew the three rows together! It’s a scrappy rainbow nine patch!
- Trim to 9.5 inches.
Remember, the more blocks you make, the more chances you have to win. We look forward to seeing your creations in April.
~ Ivy Bagnall & Allison Schnackenberg, BOM Council