At our February meeting, Susan and Wanda introduced the 2017 Community Service project for SFMQG. Below is an overview of the charity chosen and instructions on making the block. ~ Claire, Secretary
The chosen foundation to receive the quilts made throughout the year is the Miami Children's Health Foundation (formerly Nicklaus Children's Hospital) in Miami, FL. We plan to present these quilts in the fall after our October meeting.
- The size range they requested was 36 x 36 inches to 60 x 60 inches.
- Please wash all quilts before they are donated since many of the children have allergies.
- No buttons, bows or fringe since these quilts are going to children.
Chosen Quilt Block
The chosen quilt block is the I Spy Polaroid Picture quilt block. There will be "Polaroids" to chose from at all of our general meetings - please help yourself to these (these are novelty scraps to be fussy cut and used for the centers of the "pictures"). As the Polaroid blocks are completed, we will be looking for assistance in piecing the quilts and quilting. We also will continue to any and all fabric donations.
Susan and Wanda will keep us informed on what's needed at the General Meetings!
Please note: any and all children themed quilts will be accepted for donation, as long as they meet the criteria above. It doesn't have to be the Polaroid block, that was just chosen for the group project.
Making the Block
Cutting your fabric:
- 4 - 3.5" x 3.5" fussy cut squares
- 2 - White WOF x 1" strips (Polaroid sides and top)
- 1 - White WOF x 1.5" strip (Polaroid bottom)
- 3 - Bright Solid WOF x 2.5" strip (Background)
- Sub cut 1 strip into 2.5" x 4.5", you need 8 total pieces
- Use 2 strips 2.5" x 9", you need 8 total pieces
- With right sides together, line up the side edge of the fussy cut square to the 1" white strip. Stitch, using a 1/4" seam allowance. Leaving a 1/4" to 1/2" space in between, place another fussy cut square (again, right sides together) on the strip and sew. Continue until all four fussy cut squares have been sewn to the 1" strip
- Press the seam allowance towards the strip. Trim the sidepieces even with the fussy cut squares.
- Repeat for the opposite side, and the TOP of each square.
- Finishing framing the BOTTOM of the fussy cut centers using the 1.5" white strip in the same manner as above. Again, press your seam allowance towards the white and trim
Adding the Background:
- Using the 4.5" bright solid strips and with right sides together, sew one to the top and bottom of your Polaroid. Press your seam outwards, towards the solid bright color.
- Attach the 9" solid bright color strips to each side. Press seams towards the solid bright color.
- Trim each of these to 8.5" square.
NOTE: You can make them wonky if you wish, but your solid bright color will need to be cut wider and longer. (For the Wonky look you may need more than 1/4 yard of fabric)
Join the smaller four blocks together to make one 16.5" Polaroid 4x4 block!
Thank you for being a part of this special project. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to reach out to us.
Susan Capone & Wanda Goldfarb
~Community Service Council