48 members signed in. There were 2 membership renewals, 2 guests (1 joined as a new member). We now have 72 members.
Patti Rue from Jupiter with Debbie K
Carole Stephens from Boca (Joined) with Judith Cornell
Treasurer’s Report was given by Chris
Save the Dates: Broward Quilt Expo (BQE)
- Workshops: March 5th, 6th and 7th, 2019
- Jean Wells is confirmed, others to be announced
- Awards: March 8th, 2019
- Show: Saturday March 9th and 10th, 2019
Ryan’s Case for Smiles:
The SFMQG is participating in the Ryan’s Case for Smiles, a volunteer organization dedicated to helping children deal with the stress of illness and injury. Fabric to make the pillowcases is provided to members at no cost! So far, we have collected 30 pillowcases.
Community Service Project:
2 Quilts, using the French Braid block were shown.
Community service project quilts will be donated to the Menorah House in Boca Raton.
Katie Pederson Workshop Update:
Space is still available!. Additional examples of Kate’s quilts were shown and her “Quilt Modern”, a book on techniques and projects for improvisational quilts was available.
- March 2nd-Lecture and Trunk Show-Patch Reef Park
- March 3rd- Double Trouble Workshop, Tyrone Bryant Library
- March 4th-Psychedelic Bay Workshop, Fort Lauderdale, West Regional Library
If you are attending the workshops, know that advanced preparation is required. Updates will be sent to those who are registered.
Member’s survey: Discussion of results postponed until next meeting to allow additional members time to respond.
- SFMQG Rainbow Mini Quilt Challenge: Maximum size 20x20. Quilts will be displayed in the Patch Reef Community Center lobby in April 2018. Mini’s can be given to Debbie at the April guild meeting. Check out the SFMQG Pinterest Board for ideas.
- Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Designs Fabric Challenge: Fabric was delivered to those who signed up for this challenge. The deadline for submissions is 4/22/28. Refer to the challenge instruction sheet for details.
Color palette-teal, turquoise or aqua scraps with white and grey. Instruction can be found here. Bring blocks to the March SFMQG meeting.
Lucky Drawling Winners:
- Name Tag Raffle-Jennifer Haugen
- Sewing Basket-Deann Provost (photo shown below)
- BOM-Derietra Neal-Ferguson
Show & Tell:
Quilting Without Injury:
Alaine Blessman gave a very informative presentation on how to avoid injury while sewing. Handouts were provided and Alaine demonstrated friendly stretches and exercises.
Destash Table by Judy Shelton:
Great buys! Thank you Judy
Submitted by Derietra Neal-Ferguson, Secretary