SFMQG May Meeting 2018
Attendance-33 members signed-in (after making their way through a torrential down pour).
New Members-2 (Visitors from last month)
· Nancy Knoll
· Esta Ruben
Kate Yates acted as meeting facilitator in Susan's absence
Treasurer’s Report: Deferred until next month due to the Treasurer’s absence
Participants displayed their interpretations of the “house block(s)” clue #1. The 2nd month clue was revealed. (See the blog posting to follow Sarah’s adventure) Clue # 2, sample "Trees", have been posted to the blog. Suggested row dimensions are 14-1/2 by 40-42.
Community Project Updates:
QuiltCon Charity Challenge:
- This year’s QuiltCon Charity Challenge theme is “small piecing”. The color palette is shown below:
- Carla volunteered to be the Team Leader. For more information visit MQG QuiltCon Charity Challenge.
BQE Charity Quilt:
- The Churn Dash quilt, completed last year, will be submitted as the SFMQG BQE Charity Quilt. The Sobe quilt (completed 2 years ago) was donated to Healthy Mother’s Health Babies (HMHB) and was raffled at HMHB fundraiser held on Friday, May 11th at the Country Club at Mirasol.
SFMQG Lap Quilt Charity:
The Lap Quilt Charity will run until November to benefit Menorah House residents. Fabric, finished quilt tops, and batting is available. Needed – Quilters to piece tops and finished quilting.
- The Crystal Show Pin Competition deadline is June 30th. Design Guidelines are posted here . Contact Allison or Carla if you have any questions. You may also contact BQE directly at 954-376-6048 or by email.
- Jean Wells and Tara Faughnan have both been confirmed as BQE Instructors
- NEWS FLASH FOR MEMBERS ONLY-a site has been selected for BQE Airing of the Quilts. Be on the lookout for the public announcement from BQE before sharing!
- A volunteer is need for the BQE Quilt Sales Booth. Let Susan know if you're interested and she will coordinate with Allison and Carla.
Linda showed a sample of the April BOM, which will be due at the June meeting. The BOM is from the New York Metro MQG. A photo and instructions can be found here
- June 2nd, Kate Yates Bag Class Sew Day. Kate will on hand to provide instructions on sewing the Travers Bag. To see examples search “Traverse Bag” on the internet. Contact Kate ASAP to select hardware.
- June 24th, Shibori Workshop 6/24/18 from 12-5. Click here to learn more and register.
- August 4th, Nicole Kaplan Barn Quilt Sew Day
Samples Creations From Michelle Wilkie Workshops:
Member’s Spotlight on Kate:
How many of you knew that Kate purchased a sewing machine approximately 5 years ago to hem her husband’s blue jeans? Since then, Kate has been the consummate student; honing her skills by attending workshops and experimenting with a wide range of quilting techniques. Kate shared many of her quilts with our members. Some are shown below:
Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Designs Fabric Challenge:
Our own Sarah Lefebvre was the 2ndPlace winner. The winning quilt is displayed below:
Sarah also shared a new quilt design and some good news at the meeting. She has been accepted to Johns Hopkins University Graduate School, Health Administration. She will be missed. Congratulations Sarah!! Her newest creation is shown below:
Member's shared verbally, the names of their favorite quilt instructors/teachers and instructional books/manuals. The secretary will put together a reference list containing member's favorites. Send you information to Secretary@southfloridamqg.com by June 8th and the list will be available at the June meeting. (This is also a test to see how many people read the meeting recap:))
Luck Raffle Winners:
- Name Tag Raffle-Kathy T won a small glass pincushion
- BOM-Charlotte won the Retro TV blocks
- Raffle Basket: Rose
Show & Tell:
Wow, quilts quilts and more quilts.
See you next month
Submitted by Derietra Neal-Ferguson, Secretary