Last year our fledgling guild participated in our first show when we were invited to curate a special exhibit of modern quilts for the World Quilt Florida show in Orlando in January.
And we are absolutely delighted to be asked by Mancuso World Quilt Florida to return with a new exhibit in January 2017!
Our theme for this exhibit is going to be guild participation so that means that if you made a quilt resulting from any of our fun guild activities, you can submit it for inclusion.
Allison put together the follow title and description for our exhibit
The quilts in this exhibit were made by the members of our guild over the course of the first year of our existence as a modern quilt guild. They represent the new community we have fostered together, and are the products of our workshops, educational presentations, and creative challenges. All of the quilts included are the direct result of the maker being a member of South Florida Modern Quilt Guild.
The seeds of SFMQG were planted in 2011 by a small group of quilters who met regularly in a local quilt shop. We formalized as a modern guild and a non-profit under the wing of the national Modern Quilt Guild in 2015. We are an active and diverse guild with members from Broward, Miami-Dade, Palm Beach, and Martin counties.
Our interest is in modern quilting, which can include many approaches — reinterpreting traditional ideas with modern fabrics, using modern design aesthetics like negative space and alternate gridwork, improvisational piecing, and embracing simplicity and minimalism. Modern quilting, like all art, changes, grows and adapts from quilter to quilter as they find their own voices.
Charlotte Noll (that's me) will be chairperson for this exhibit. We will need to turn in a list of quilts to Mancuso mid-November so please email me if you are interested in participating. Send along a picture with quilt title, approximate size and insurance value before October 31st, 2016. Insurance value is usually cost of materials unless you have an appraisal. The quilt doesn’t have to be finished and we will ask for the real size, quilt story and $5 entry fee to cover the exhibit expenses later.
Note that inclusion in this exhibit doesn't prevent you from entering your quilt in Broward Quilt Expo in March 2017. Also if you enter your quilt in QuiltCon East and it is accepted we will be more than happy remove you from this exhibit, and wish you luck in Savannah!
To jog your memory, here is a list of all our guild activities from the last year - wow!
- Heather Jones - Large Scale Piecing
- Heather Jones - Inspiration to Design
- Linda Hungerford - Domestic Machine Quilting
- IS Projects - Fabric Block Printing
- Maria Shell - Making Prints out of Solids
- Tonya Ricucci - Unruly Word Play
- Patti Auten - Modern Traditionalism
- Red Thread Studios Embroidery
- Tonya Ricucci - Improv Round Robin
- Quilt As You Go
- Handwork : Big Stitch
- Handwork: English Paper Piecing (EPP)
- Modern Quilt Layouts
- Modern Traditionalism
- Improv Piecing
- Negative Space
- 2016 Negative Space Challenge
- 2016 MQG Spring Riley Blake Sashing Stash Fabric Challenge
- 2016 SFMQG Member QuiltCon Charity Challenge Quilt
- 2015 MQG Spring Riley Blake Cottage Garden Fabric Challenge
- 2015 QAL Improv Patchwork Quilt-A-Long
- 2016 QAL Round Robin Improv Quilt-A-Long
- Quilts made using our Block of the Month lottery winnings.
- Quilts made for Community Service projects (if available for display in January 2017).
I look forward to seeing all of your beautiful quilts and to creating another wonderful exhibit that our guild can be proud of.