The August meeting has 46 attendees, 42 members and 4 guests.
Monique brought her sister-in-law, who was visiting from New York. Jamie S. from Miami found us on the MQG site, Terea K. from Boca found us through a Goggle search, and Madhu U. came as a friend of Joan C. We love to see new faces!
We welcomed two new members: Sarah L. and Joey M. Kristin B. is a new member who will be attending the September meeting. Welcome, ladies! It was a big crowd for what can sometimes be a slow month.
Andrea, our VP of Events, gave an excellent recap of our fun Latifah Saafir weekend. She outlined the lecture and the two classes. Members who attended brought their projects for a show-and-tell. We even had a few quilt completed! Thanks, Andrea, for letting those of us that couldn't attend be involved. Keep your eyes open for a blog post with pictures from these events.
Wanda was the winner of the BOM! Can't wait to see the lovely quilt you create
The August BOM has been posted here. Remember, the more blocks you make, the better your chance of winning the raffle.
Susan and Wanda updated us on the our 2017 Community Service project. You can find the details here. Please try and bring these projects in, as this will be coming to a close soon.
Additionally, Sue will continue to collect pillowcases for Ryan's Case for Smiles. Please bring these in to any general meeting.
Just a reminder, the covered notebook swap will be happening at the September meeting. You can find the instructions here. Reach out to Kerrilyn or Debby S. if you have any questions. It's going to be a fun exchange!
At the request of one of our members in preparation of the BQE discussion in September, Charlotte provided the following results for South Florida Modern Quilt Guild.
Summary of the 2017 BQE fundraising effort:
- $520 BQE live auction
- $117 BQE buy it now
- $300 BQE online sales
- $175 BQEtique
- $1,112 Total
Thanks everyone for your participation!
2018 QuiltCon Charity Quilt Challenge
The theme for the 2018 MQG Charity quilt is Modern Traditionalism. You can read more about that and the guidelines here, on the QuiltCon website.
A huge thanks to Karla for leading this project for SFMQG. She passed out instructions and packets of fabric at the August meeting. If you weren't at the meeting but would like to be involved, please read the instructions below. If you can't make it to the September meeting, you can drop your block in an envelope and send it to Karla or have a fellow SFMQG member bring it. Karla will be taking our blocks and assembling them into something fabulous.
- We are going to make a Shoo Fly Quilt.
- Each block can be any size smaller than 10 inches. You can make wonky or traditional.
- A shoo fly block is made up of 4 HST and 5 squares in a 9 patch format. Above is an example, however please note yours can be wonky and the green will be either Orange or Red.
- For our block we are using:
- 4 white squares
- 4 HST in Qhite with either Orange or Red
- 1 orange or red middle square
- Please use either Red or Orange NOT both in 1 block.
- The colors are all Kona Fabrics: White, School Bus, and Valentine.
- We have to stay in these colors. You can use a print as long as it read as the solid color it is taking the place of. No shades of that color.
- If it is a white print, it must read white. Can have orange or red but has to match our colors and read light.
- Please watch for shadowing. Iron or cut to avoid colors showing through the white.
Again, please bring your blocks to the September 16th meeting. Please reach out to Karla if you have any questions.
An event has been posted with the details on the October Workshop - Shibori & Indigo for Quilters.
You can find details here. Sign up if you are planning on joining, space is limited.
As always, happy sewing!