SFMQG April Meeting 2018
Attendance-48 members signed-in
- Nancy Patchell Knoll - Port St Lucie - joined online after meeting!
- Esta Ruben - Port St Lucie
- Barbara Garvine - Miami - with Anita Thompson
- Marie Christine Leavitt - Delray - with Melinda Schwartz and Diane Paquin-Provost
A special welcome to our new member Nancy Patchell Knoll!
Treasurer’s Report: Closing Balance 5145.61
Community Project Updates:
Ryan’s Case for Smiles: Susan made available additional fabric kits for members. Pillow cases are to be sewn with enclosed seams using French seams or Serger. Members are asked to return the WASHED pillowcase, at the May meeting, in the Ziploc bag provided.
Susan shared a Thank You note from the Nicklaus Children’s Hospital Foundation for the donated pillowcases. The note reads,” …Your donation of time and effort as well as the pillowcase themselves is amazing!”.
Community Service Project: Wanda and Susan gave an update for the charity quilt project. Precut fabric was available, along with printed instructions for the French Braid Block quilt pattern. The Community Service project quilts will be donated to the Menorah House in Boca Raton in November.
SoBe Charity Quilt: Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies of Palm Beach County was selected as the quilt recipient. The quilt was delivered by Abby Bill and will be auctioned at their annual fundraising event on Friday, May 11 at the Country Club at Mirasol. The guild has received a Thank You letter acknowledging our donation.
Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) HS Quilt Project will continue through the end of the month. The project has received extraordinary support from the quilting community.
BQE 2019 will be a weeklong event, March 4th thru March 10th. Additional details on the BQE schedule of events will be sent out in the SFMQG Event Notification. In the meantime, opportunities for individuals and guild participation was discussed and is listed below.
- 2019 Show Pin Competition “Crystals” (Deadline for submission, June 2018)
- 2019 Quilt Sales (individuals)
- 2019 Guildtique (Quilt Guilds and individual guild members)
Contact BQE directly at 954-376-6048 or Hello@browardquiltexpo.com for more information.
Patty gave the first clue for the Mystery QAL. Visit the blog for details. Each clue will be posted on the blog within 7 days of the SFMQG monthly meetings. Look for Mystery QAL Clue # 1 on the blog.
Linda showed a sample of the April BOM which will be due at the May meeting. It’s a modern retro TV quilt block. Check out the blog for a photo and instructions. This will make a perfect and cherished Father’s Day gift for a father or father figure. Check it out!
- May 4th, 5th and 6th-Michelle Wilkie lecture and workshops. To see her quilts, visit her web site www.factotum-of-arts.com
- June 2nd-Kate Yates Bag Class Sew Day. Kate will on hand to provide instructions on sewing the Travers Bag. To see examples search “Traverse Bag” on the internet.
- August 4th-Nicole Kaplan will introduce Barn Quilts during our Sew Day
Member’s Spotlight on Judy:
Judy took us on a quilting journey depicting her transition from academia to quilting aficionada. Judy’s quilts are impressive and unique. Her personality is intertwined and conveyed through her quilts. Since a photo is worth 1000 words, see the photo gallery for the April meeting. I have included photos of Judy and her quilts for your viewing pleasure.
We were treated to a presentation on constructing Modern Quilts using solids fabric colors. Andrea provided examples of how solids can be used to achieve beautiful improv quilts.
Our very own Rainbow Quilt Challenge entries were displayed. We thank everyone who entered a quilt. The Viewer’s Choice Award was received by Charlotte Noll.
Congratulations Charlotte and to all that entered. The magnificent work of all that entered is displayed Below:
Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Designs Fabric Challenge: Below are the 4 members who submitted quilts to the MQG Riley Blake Design Fabric Challenge.
Luck Raffle Winners:
- Name Tag Raffle-Diane Moss won a medium metal button shaped box
- BOM-Lisa won the wonky star blocks
Show & Tell:
Wow-quilts quilts and more quilts view here.
Submitted by Derietra Neal-Ferguson, Secretary