Are you ready for more improv and stretching your quilting muscles? Do you want to experiment with different techniques and color palettes? Then sign up for our SFMQG Quilt-along 2016! The quilt-along for this year will be the "Round Robin Improv Quilt-along". The quilt-along will start in March 2016.
Our new QAL will be launched at the February 2016 meeting. We will start sewing in March, and make eight blocks, finishing up in November.
Requirements for participation:
- Approximately 3.5 to 4 yards of coordinated fabric (or 14-16 fat quarters) . This can be any color or style – however it's suggested that participants coordinate their own fabric palette so that the Quilt-along blocks will have a cohesive color theme (unless you want to go all scrappy!). Also make sure to include several fat quarters of "neutral fabric" for use.
- A Small plastic box or large shoebox. This should be sturdy and have a sturdy lid. Please put your fabrics in the shoe box to bring to the meeting.
- One yard of a "signature fabric". This will an interesting fabric that the participant will keep (this will not go in the box). The idea of each participant having a signature fabric is to incorporate a little piece of each quilter in that month's block. At the February meeting we will be showing examples of different effective signature fabrics.
- A willing spirit to try different improv techniques.
The skinny on how it works:
- Each participant will bring her shoebox to the meeting with her coordinated fabrics AND a completed improv block (tutorial will follow). The signature fabric remains at home.
- Each participant will receive ANOTHER shoe box from another QAL participant along with a tutorial to do for that month (tutorials will be announced and shown at the meeting each month and the tutorial will be on the blog and Facebook page after the meeting)
- The participant will make the block using the fabric from the shoebox PLUS a piece of her "signature fabric". Please place the block in the shoebox with your name pinned on it (and your name written in that month's spot on the list on top of the box). Return the box to the next month's meeting.
- Receive a NEW box each month and complete the tutorial using the fabric in the box PLUS a piece of your signature fabric each month.
- At the end of the QAL you will receive YOUR box back along with fabulous improv squares! Tips will be provided to help enable participants to "finish" their QALs into a quilt top. (in addition to a fun last month's tutorial to try)
Sign ups will be held at the February meeting. If you are not at the meeting but would like to participate, please drop me an email and I'll add you to the list. Remember – the more the merrier and the more fun and interesting the QAL will be.Join us for this improv quilting journey!
~ Patti Auten, VP of Projects