SFMQG March Meeting 2018
Attendance: 44 members signed in. We had 3 guests, Sharon Nottingham from Delray with Lisa Friedlander, Linda Gueli from MA (She found us by googling quilt guilds), and Joyce Margolis from Michigan with Barbara Kline.
New Member: Carol Stevens. Welcome Carol
Treasurer’s Report - Deferred until next week
Susan opened the meeting with some quilting trivia
- Average age of quilters? Answer-62 years of age
- What year was MQG established- Answer-2009
- What is the largest quilt-Answer-AIDS Quilt
- What year was the rotary cutter introduced-1979
Community Project Updates:
- Ryan’s Case for Smiles Susan reports this is going well. Over 31 cases have been made.
- Community Service Project: Wanda and Susan reminded members that precut fabric is available for our community service project. Printed instructions for the French Braid Block quilt pattern is also available. All donated lap-size quilts will be put to good use. The Community Service project quilts will be donated to the Menorah House in Boca Raton.
- SoBe Charity Quilt: At the 12/15/17 meeting, a committee was establish (Abbie Bill-Chairperson) to come up with a plan to donate the 2016 SoBe Charity Quilt. Members of the ad hoc committee were Abbie Bill, Chairperson, Derietra Neal-Ferguson and Mary Carhart. The committee identified the charity by contacting the Palm Beach County United Way who agreed to look for a charity that hosted an annual fundraiser. Healthy Mothers Healthy Babies of Palm Beach County was recommended as a possible recipient, and the non-profit was contacted. They graciously accepted the gift of the quilt and plan to auction the quilt at their annual fundraiser. The event will take place the beginning of May. Abbie Bill and Mary Carhart will provide information about the SFMQG to the Health Mothers Healthy Babies of Palm Beach County to display at the event. We thank Abbie and her committee for their hard work.
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) HS Quilt Project: Susan and Charlotte visited the school to offer assistance on behalf of the SFMQG. Additional information is available on the SFMQG Facebook page and in an email sent to our membership. Tara Bella High School in Coral springs is also supporting the effort. They have donations but will be appreciative of any volunteers who can lend a hand. You will need to register at the school if you’re interested. Check with the school office if you are able to volunteer.
Katie Pedersen Workshop:
A recap of the Katie Pedersen weekend event, along with photos was provided. Those who attended showed off their projects.
Yes, our own Charlotte and Debbie were at QuiltCon this year in Pasadena, California. Congratulation to Charlotte who was awarded “Judge’s Choice” for here Bluejean Butterflies quilt. Go to the Blog and visit the photo gallery for a Modern Quilt slide show. Thanks Charlotte for all of the photos. It’s almost like being there in person.
Mark Your Calendar for Upcoming Workshops & Events (Visit the SFMQG blog for additional details):
- April 27, 2018, Rock Painting see blog. Limited to 12 participants
- May 4th, 5th and 6th, Michelle Wilkie lecture and workshop. To see her works, visit www.factotum-of-arts.com
- June- Kate Yates Bag Class Sew Day
- August-Nicole Kaplan Barn Quilt Blocks Sew Day
Back by popular demand-Patty’s Quilt Along
It’s a Modern Mystery! Watch for clues (emails, blog etc.) for Patty’s Quilt Along. Gather your fabric now. A low volume, newsprint, is recommended. Begin thinking about your color palette. Thus far, the following hints have been shared:
- 6-month time frame
- Starts in April
- Row construction
- Approximately 40-42 inches wide
- Guildtique-Each guild will be asked to display and sell handmade items. Proceeds to benefit the guild or can be for personal profit; it’s up to the guild.
- Workshops- Jean Wills and Tarra Fawn have been confirmed
- BQE Events-
- Workshops-March 5th, 6th and 7th, 2019
- Awards-March 8th, 2019
- Show-Saturday March 9th and 10th, 2019
- SFMQG will need members to volunteer to work at the Guildtique table
Rainbow Mini Quilt 20x20 will be displayed in the Patch Reef Community Center display case in April 2018. Mini’s can be given to Debbie at the March 17th guild meeting. Check out the SFMQG Pinterest Board for ideas and the blog for additional information.
Modern Quilt Guild Riley Blake Designs Fabric Challenge:
The deadline for submissions is 4/22/28. Refer to the challenge instruction sheet for details.
The March BOM was reviewed by Isabella. Check out the blog for a photo and instructions. We are using a black background.
Lucky Raffle Winners:
- Name Tag Raffle-Sheila Gordon
- Sewing Basket-Marya
- BOM-Linda Gordon
Show & Tell:
Member’s Spotlight-Andrea shared her quilting journey and displayed some of the quilts created along the way.
Members Spotlight for April-Judy
Submitted by Derietra Neal-Ferguson, Secretary